St. Peter's Episcopal Church is a National Historic Landmark. It is basically unchanged since it was built 250 years ago. It opened for services in September 1761 as an Anglican church in colonial Philadelphia. Since the American Revolution it has been an Episcopal church. The interior is very unusual because the pulpit was placed at the opposite end from the altar. Its original box pews face in both directions and are still in use. Many prominent figures are buried in St. Peter's Cemetery including the artist Charles Willson Peale, the President of the Second Bank of the U.S. Nicholas Biddle, and the chiefs of eight Native American tribes who died of small pox in 1793 while visiting Philadelphia.
Guides are on site Saturdays and Sunday afternoons. Audio tours of the church building and the churchyard are available at 215-554-6161 or on the website www.stpetersphila.org