Juneteenth Lehigh Valley
Arts Quest (Steel Stacks)
101 Founder's Way
Bethlehem, PA 18015
Region: Lehigh Valley
Hours of operation: Saturday 11:00 am to 7:00 pm
The purpose of the Juneteenth 2022 celebration held on the Arts Quest (Steel Stacks) campus is to elevate and celebrate the Juneteenth Holiday. The June 18, 2022, event is estimated to attract 5,000 patrons to the Arts Quest campus. The attendees are families and individuals from Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton, Washington D.C., Maryland, and New Jersey. The population varied in ages and social strata.
The day’s activities will feature:
- An opening ceremony with podium messages from the mayors of all three cities (Allentown, Bethlehem, and Easton), Congresswoman Susan Wild, County Executives, Phil Armstrong (Lehigh) and Lamont McClure (Northampton), and State Representative Robert Freeman followed by a musical performance by The Bell Canto Youth Chorus.
- Four musical bands (Jazz, R&B, Soul, and Reggae), with headliner - jazz artist, Time Warfield and Band. Tim Warfield will also be hosting a Master's class with area music school students.
- Amazon Black Business Accelerator program presentation to Black business owners
- Hip-Hop presentation along with poetry directed towards teens and young adults.
- A variety of ethnic-based food trucks and product vendors and information vendors including area colleges, universities, and area corporations.
- Film viewing of Netflix miniseries ""High on the Hog"" episode 4. followed by a panel discussion with Black restaurant owners.
- Live Radio broadcast and interviews with local radio personality – Shawn Harvey
- Black violinist performance that fuses Hip-hop and classical music.
- Various liturgical dancers, local poetry groups, and singers.
- "Lehigh Valley Reads"" program will give 100 free Black-focused books to the first 100 families and offer story-telling time. PBS's Education department will offer education crafts that focus on Black inventors, for example the African American influence on Botany with an objective lesson on George Washington Carver.
- Fine/Visual Art display and panel discussion with local black artist.
- The PBS/WLVT courtyard and building also housed a historical menu tasting, and programming for children – features an art area sponsored by Crayola LLC that features multi-cultural colors and coloring books, an ethnic-centric magician, dancers, food concessions, and the presentation of the Juneteenth coloring book.
- PBS/WLVT has committed to a 60-minute live broadcast for the Juneteenth 2022 celebration.