Loleta Recreation Area was built in the 1930s by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) on the site where, just 20 years earlier, a bustling logging town of 600 inhabitants had stood. Established in 1889, Loleta was a typical example of the boomtowns associated with the age of exploitation, when the hills of Pennsylvania were stripped of trees. The town had a large sawmill, shingle mill, broom handle factory, and a rail connection for shipping its products to Sheffield, PA. Once the timber supply was exhausted in 1913, the mills shut down and the town was dismantled and deserted.
xIn the 1930s, the Forest Service reconstructed the old Loleta mill pond, using CCC labor, then added a bathhouse, swimming area, picnic shelters and landscaping. The distinctive quality of CCC workmanship is evident today in the dam stonework and the log construction of the old bathhouse. The camping loops were added in the 1960s.