Kranich's Jewelers was established in York, Pennsylvania, in 1903. The company was originally called Kranich Brothers Jewelers. The Kranich Brothers had stores in York, Lancaster and Altoona, Pennsylvania as well as one in Worcester, Mass. The Altoona store opened in 1923. Charles and Mildred Kranich operated and expand the Altoona operation. In 1962, Charles and Mildred were joined in business by their son, Michael. In 1976 the Kranich's opened a store in Downtown State College, the home of Penn State University. Charles and Mildred Kranich died in 1978 and Michael took over the family business. Michael Kranich, now retired, was succeeded by his sons in the 1990's. In 1996 Kranich's opened a second State College location at the Nittany Mall. In 2000 Kranich's opened a location in the Johnstown Galleria. In 2008 Kranich's dramatically expanded their Logan Valley Mall location and Corporate offices. In 2012 Kranich's opened a huge new store on North Atherton Street in State College.