Built in 1773 by Jonas Rupp, the stone structure has been a fixture in Cumberland County history for over 200 years. Situated along what was originally called the Trindle Springs Road, it was known as the great stone mansion of Jonas Rupp. In the mid-1800's, the home was occupied by the family of John Rupp, the builder's grandson. The family fled to Lancaster during the Confederate invasion of Cumberland County in 1863. In their absence, Confederate Brigadier General Albert G. Jenkins used the home as his headquarters. His troops fought the northernmost engagement of the Gettysburg Campaign at nearby Sporting Hill on June 30, 1863. The General Jenkins Monument has been placed at the Rupp House to commemorate the Confederate invasion of Cumberland County and the Union defense of Harrisburg in June 1863.