The Historical and Genealogical Society of Indiana County, located in scenic Southwestern Pennsylvania, serves a largely rural area noted for its forest and mineral resources and its scenic beauty. The Society is housed in two historic buildings; the old National Guard Armory on Wayne Ave. and the Silas M. Clark House next door. Located in the town of Indiana, the county seat and site of the Indiana University of Pennsylvania, the Society has been designated as the official county historical society. In 1938, the Society was founded as a private membership organization. The Society's purpose is to collect and preserve materials illustrative to Indiana County, its families, businesses, organizations, etc. The society maintains a large genealogical research library, the Indiana County Historical Museum and the Indiana County Memorial to the Veterans. Hours are Tues. - Fri. 9 a.m. - 4 p.m., and Sat. 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.