Church Of The Advocate

1801 W. Diamond St., Philadelphia, PA 19121 GET DIRECTIONS
Local: 215-236-6773
Fax: 215-236-5253
Here in 1974, the first eleven women Episcopal priests were ordained. This noted Gothic Revival church, built 1887-97, served a growing African American community after 1930. Host to major Black Power events of the 1960s and 1970s. National Historic Landmark. The first ordination of women as Episcopal priests, known as the "Philadelphia Eleven" took place here on July 9, 1974. The church has long been a center for progressive social and political activity. Christine Washington used it as a base for initiating much-needed low and moderate income housing in the neighborhood. In 1998 author Lorene Cary established Art Sanctuary here, a multifaceted program to revitalize individuals and the community through the power of black art.
Share This:
Facility Amenities: ADA-compliant, Bus Parking, Free Admission, Guided Tours, Handicapped Access
General Information: Hours: By appointment, Open Year-round
Guest Information: Advanced Reservations Required
Loading Map.