Port Allegany is historically the starting point for traveling via canoe on the Allegheny River, this town was first known as the â€œCanoe Placeâ€ because it was where people would stop to build or repair canoes in order to navigate the Allegheny River. Established as the town of Keating in 1826, it wasnâ€™t until 1840 that this community was named Port Allegany. The Canoe Place Inn, originally built in 1859 as a tavern, is still in operation today. With a long history of glass production, Port Allegany is the â€œGlass Block Capital of the Worldâ€. The town square features a wonderful gazebo, and hosts a variety of fairs and festivals throughout the year.