Fort Washington

Area Around Cumberland St., Lemoyne, PA 17043 GET DIRECTIONS
Fort Washington was built in mid-June 1863 and occupied primarily by New York State Militia during the Gettysburg campaign. The earth embankments were started by volunteer citizens and African American laborers supplied by the Pennsylvania Railroad on June 14, 1863. Fort Washington occupied about 60 acres on Hummel's Heights above the Camelback Bridge crossing the Susquehanna River. Today nothing remains of the fort except indications of earthworks on various pieces of private property.
Share This:
PHOTOS
VIEW MAP
Susquehanna River and Harrisburg taken from the approximate location of Fort Washington
Susquehanna River and Harrisburg taken from the approximate location of Fort Washington
Loading Map.