Old Main is currently the university's administration building. A National Historic landmark, it was designed and built by John Crump in just five months, April through August, in 1882. It replaced the original Old Main which was built in 1867 and burned in February of 1882.
One of the more interesting features of the Old Main is the dome. For years, students have climbed the building to etch their name in the rafters. One such student was famed filmmaker Cecil B. DeMille. His signature is still visible.