Wesley Union Church was organized in 1816, with its first building at Third and Mulberry Streets. Wesley Union A.M.E. Zion Church at 2219 North Fifth Street is the successor to the original church. Realizing the need for a Black cemetery in the Harrisburg area, the Church purchased land in Susquehanna Township in 1817 for a burial ground. It was officially named Lincoln Cemetery in 1827. Prior to the Civil War, the church and its members were active in the Underground Railroad, which ran through the Harrisburg area. Notable graves in the cemetery include Thomas Morris Chester, Sergeant Horace Bennett of the 54th Massachusetts Infantry, Howard Day, publisher of an abolitionist newspaper, and Ephraim Slaughter of the 37th U.S.C.T. and the 3rd N.C. Colored Infantry, who was Harrisburg's last surviving Civil War veteran (d. 1943) and for whom American Legion Post No. 733 is named.