Established in 1934 by Chester Wittell as the Wyomissing Institute of Fine Arts, the Institute opened its doors with 3 music students. Under Lila Lerch, the first managing director, the Institute grew to over 300 students and expanded its offerings to include music, dance, theatre and the visual arts instruction. An arts-based preschool and kindergarten were added and the Institute became licensed by the state.
Over the years, the Institute has forged partnerships with schools and other non-profit organizations to increase access to the arts for both arts and non-arts outcomes.
The Institute is also home to the Yocum Gallery that serves as a venue for exhibits and theater performances, the Berks Art Alliance and "Art Goes to School". The Yocum Gallery is open daily from 9-7PM for viewing of exhibitions.