North Queen Street Cemetery

North Queen St., Shippensburg, PA 17257 GET DIRECTIONS
For nearly 200 years the North Queen Street Cemetery, now called Locust Grove, has been the final resting place of many Shippenburg area African-Americans. The cemetery was first acknowledged in 1828 in a Cumberland County deed that noted a "colored cemetery" was on the site. In 1846, Shippensburg's first black church was established here. Among the African-Americans interred at the cemetery are twenty-six Civil War veterans, three of which served with the 54th and 55th Massachusetts Volunteer Regiments, the first combat units open to black men during the Civil War.
Share This:
PHOTOS
VIEW MAP
Loading Map.