Carlisle was laid out and settled by Scots-Irish immigrants in 1751 and became the center of their settlement in the Cumberland Valley. Carlisle was incorporated as a borough on April 13, 1782. In 1787 Carlisle was the scene of a riot instigated by Anti-Federalists in response to a planned march in favor of the US constitution. In 1794 during the Whiskey Rebellion, the troops of Pennsylvania and New Jersey assembled in Carlisle under the leadership of George Washington. The borough was shelled by the Confederates on July 1, 1863, during the Battle of Carlisle, part of the Gettysburg Campaign of the American Civil War. Carlisle was well-known at one time for the Carlisle Indian Industrial School, which trained Native Americans from all over the United States; one of its notable graduates was athletic hero Jim Thorpe. Carlisle is also home to Dickinson College, established in 1773 and later chartered in 1783, making it the first college founded in the newly recognized United States. The Dickinson School of Law, founded in 1834 and affiliated with Dickinson College until 1914, is the fifth oldest law school in the United States and the oldest law school in Pennsylvania. It remained independent for over 80 years, until it merged with The Pennsylvania State University in 1997, becoming the Penn State Dickinson School of Law. The U.S. Army War College, located at the Carlisle Barracks, caters to high-level military personnel and civilians and prepares them for strategic leadership responsibilities. The Carlisle Barracks is the oldest installation in the United States Army and the Army's most senior military educational institution. Carlisle is the home of the U.S. Army Military Heritage Museum.
Mary Ludwig Hayes McCauley is buried at Old Cemetery, Carlisle, Pennsylvania. She was the most famous ?Molly Pitcher? of the American Revolution, a nickname for women who carried water to the troops during the war.
An 1800s-era firehouse restored to its original condition and includes a 1929 fire engine. The museum is housed in a Victorian firehouse that is restored to its original condition. Located in Carlisle, PA.