Market St. Bridge over the Susquehanna River,
During the Civil War, this bridge spanning the Susquehanna River was called Camelback Bridge. One "hump" of this covered wooden bridge arched from the Harrisburg side to McCormick Island, now City Island and the other went from the Island to Bridgeport, now Lemoyne. Built in 1820, it was large enough to support two-way traffic and did much to encourage trade in the area. As with most 19th century bridges, it was a toll bridge and even the threat of Confederate invasion would not quench the profit motive. In 1863, troops moving across the bridge to defend the Harrisburg area were charged the usual toll for foot and wagon traffic. At the east end of the bridge, there are two Ionic columns from the Civil War State Capitol Building that burned down in 1897. At the base are bronze plaques that tell their history. Lincoln walked past these columns and into the capitol to deliver an address to the state legislature in February 1861. The assassinated president's casket passed the columns when his body was laid in state in the capitol in April 1865.