Camp Curtin

2201 N. 6th Street, Harrisburg, PA 17110-2406 GET DIRECTIONS
April 14, 1861, news of the bombardment and surrender of Fort Sumter had reached President Abraham Lincoln. At that time, he called for 75,000 volunteers. Governor Andrew Curtin also made a plea to the citizens of Pennsylvania to volunteer to help preserve the Union. Men from throughout the state converged on Harrisburg to offer their services and it became apparent that a military camp would have to be established in the area. Originally, it was to be called Camp Union, but Major Joseph Knipe proclaimed it "Camp Curtin" upon its official opening April 18th. The camp was located between Reel's Lane on the north, the Pennsylvania Railroad tracks on the east, Maclay Street on the south and Fifth Street on the west. Over 300,000 men passed through Camp Curtin, making it the largest Federal camp during the Civil War. Harrisburg's location on major railroad lines running east and west, and north and south made it the ideal location for moving men and supplies to the armies in the field. In addition to Pennsylvania regiments, troops from Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Wisconsin and the Regular Army used Camp Curtin. At the end of the war, Camp Curtin was used as a mustering-out point for thousands of troops on their way home. Camp Curtin was officially closed on November 11, 1865. The Camp is one of the largest in both the Union and the Confederacy.
Share This:
PHOTOS
VIEW MAP
Loading Map.