The tradition of ?The Temperance House? began in 1772, when soldier and scholar Andrew McMinn first opened the Inn. Union General Francis Murray made the Inn his lodging during the Revolutionary times, and the site became a gathering spot for those fighting for the colonists? cause.
A number of innkeepers followed with grander plans for the South State Street hostelry ? renovations became customary and over the years names like Benetz, Leedom, Burns, and Fabian became associated with the comfortable and convenient meeting place. Our Inn Rooms situated on the front side of the Inn enjoy a view of Bucks County?s rolling farmland to the north and west and a close-up of State Street, where it is easy to imagine the horse-drawn carriages that ushered travelers to their lodging destinations when Newtown served as a busy county seat from the 1700s to the early 1800s.