Incorporated in 1815, Stroudsburg got its start as Fort Hamilton, one of a series of forts the Pennsylvania government built to protect settlers from the local Native Americans. The town's location at the confluence of the Pocono, McMichaels, and Brodhead creeks made it suitable for gristmill and sawmill businesses. In 1836, Stroudsburg became the seat of the new Monroe County; it also became the county's leading market town. Lumber mills, tanneries, and textile mills contributed to the town’s growth in the nineteenth century. Today, Stroudsburg biggest industry is tourism. Slate sidewalks line its attractive streets, which sport many small shops and historic buildings. A thriving commerce in arts and crafts makes Stroudsburg a favorite destination as does its proximity to the Poconos.